Carlyn

Hopped Off the Plane at LAX

by Carlyn on August 1, 2014

I finally went on a trip that has been on my bucket list for a long time: Los Angeles! I started planning this vacation a few months ago with two of my closest friends, Delane and Taylor. The three of us have fun together no matter what we do, especially when we visit one of the most famous cities in the world. I have family that lives in L.A., so we were very lucky to be able to stay with them. My cousin, Stephanie, also gave us rides everywhere, so we didn’t have to face the crazy L.A. traffic on our own.

In just a few short days, we packed in so many adventures that I don’t even know where to begin! We did a lot of the touristy things of course, such as reading the Hollywood Walk of Fame names, hiked to the Hollywood sign, stalk celebrity homes in Beverly Hills, a visit to Venice Beach and Canal, and shopping around Downtown Disney and Universal Studios. We considered all of these essentials when visiting L.A. We also did some things that are a little less traditional, such as a hot air balloon ride in Orange Country and browsing the Observatory in Griffith Park.

One of my favorite parts of traveling is trying new food. We considered going to famous restaurants, like having Breakfast at Tiffany’s. Instead, we ate less crowded places (well, at least a little bit) that locals recommended. I love cities like L.A. that are so diverse, so you can find such a wide variety of foods. My favorite dinner was the one at a Brazilian restaurant in Burbank. I tried plantains there for the first time. My favorite breakfast was at The Griddle Café in Hollywood. They had the largest and most unique dishes, such as Chips Ahoy French toast and Frosted Flakes pancakes.

It is has been a goal of mine to travel as much as possible before I graduate in less than a year. I like exploring a variety of cities so I can get a better sense of where I might want to move outside of St. Louis (if that’s what I end up deciding to do). Also, I know that once I have a full time job, it will be harder for me to take off work whenever I want. Something that surprised me about L.A. was how spread out everything was. It is not as compact as other major cities I have visited. Also, the weather was not as hot as I expected. Especially at night, it gets chilly there. Delane, Taylor, and I all really enjoyed our time in Los Angeles. I would like to spend more time there again someday. Who knows, maybe I will end up living there!

Recognize this sign?! Recognize this sign?!