Carlyn

Lovely Life in Lexington

by Carlyn on July 23, 2014

in Career Paths,Organizations, Activities & Events

Way back in February, I found out about an internship opportunity on the Omicron Delta Kappa website. It said “Are you interested in a career in event planning!?” And since I am interested in such a career and am an ODK member, I thought this would be perfect. The position would entail an intern to arrive at the ODK summer convention in Lexington, Virginia a few days early to help set everything up and run the events throughout the conference that lasts four days. I applied and found out in April that I got the position! This opportunity has been a long time coming, and it finally happened way too quickly.

The three days before everyone else showed up for the convention, I was in Lexington to help prepare, along with two other interns. Starting at early hours and ending late in the evening, I spent most of my time at ODK headquarters. I worked a lot with the registration packets, goodie bags, programs, meal tickets, and name tags. Another one of my responsibilities throughout the week was to be an RA for all the people that would be staying in the resident hall. Therefore, I prepared room assignments and the linens for each room. Also, I tried to become familiar with the campus as much as possible so that I could show people where to go for each event/meeting. Washington and Lee University is a beautiful campus and very historical (it was founded in the 1700s by George Washington and Robert E. Lee). This is also the school where ODK was founded in 1914. This year marks the centennial celebration for ODK’s founding. The little town of Lexington was very nice as well. All the residents were extremely friendly and the green hills and trees everywhere are so pretty.

It was very exciting when everyone else began to show up. I love meeting people from all across the U.S. I was extremely busy throughout the convention, always leaving things early to set up for the next event (and then actually run it). But I get a thrill out of being busy, especially for a setting like this. There were multiple workshops, guest speakers, delicious meals, service projects, and a 5K race. Some of the fun activities during free time were a brewery tour, concert, comedian, ghost tour, and drive-in movie. There was a formal ball to end the convention.

It was very hard to leave Lexington. My time there went by too fast. I had such a great time making so many new friends and professional connections as well. In just one week, I learned so much about ODK and about myself. I am eternally grateful for this experience and can’t wait to share my stories with my Fontbonne ODK circle.

The interns at the Centennial Ball celebration

Washington and Lee University