Joanna

First Year at Fontbonne: Check!

by Joanna on May 5, 2014

Well, this school year has definitely had its ups and downs. There were so many memorable moments, and I made lots of great friends. However, it was also very stressful moving away from home and keeping up with all my school work. I joined the honors program here, so I’ve had some harder classes, but I have definitely been challenged in a positive way. It was also great living in St. Louis this year – I got to try Ted Drewe’s ice cream, attend a Cardinals’ game, go to concerts, enjoy Forest Park, and do all sorts of fun stuff! There have been many exciting moments, but perhaps the best part of my first year of college was becoming a member of the third floor of St. Joseph’s Hall. Our floor is basically one big group of friends. We always eat lunch together and there is never enough room at the table, but we make room. We share each other’s clothes, food, joys, and troubles. If I’m ever having a bad day, I can always count on a member of the Third Floor Council to cheer me up. Yes, we have a council. I am truly going to miss my friends at Fontbonne over the summer. Three whole months without them?!?! Ah! Whatever will I do? Hopefully we will be able to stay in touch. Anyway, here is my number one piece of advice to any future freshmen: Make friends, and make good ones. No matter where you end up, there will always be people you can count on. Well, unless you move to like the Arctic circle or the outback or something. I’ve also compiled a list of a few other tips for surviving your freshman year:

1. Don’t procrastinate! Deadlines come sooner than you think, and you don’t want to be rushing to finish a paper at 3 in the morning the night before it’s due.

2. Read the syllabus! It is very important to know when your professor’s office hours are. I’m pretty sure I’ve had to schedule meetings with at least half of my professors, if not more. Although it can seem like a hassle, it is always a good idea to meet with them to ask questions about projects or papers. Not only will your assignments turn out better, but you will also rid yourself of additional stress and the professor will know you are a good student. The syllabus is also great for checking due dates. Like I said in #1, don’t procrastinate.