Carlyn

Renaissance Faire Fun

by Carlyn on May 28, 2014

in Extracurricular,In Saint Louis

It’s that time of year again for the annual Renaissance Faire! It’s located in Rotary Park in Wentzville and I have gone there every year since I was in 7th grade and went on a field trip. In the last few years, it has become a tradition for my younger cousin to come with me. So, she did again, and a girl that I babysit tagged along too.

This festival is designed to make visitors feel like they are really a part of the Renaissance time period around the 1500s. To do so, all the employees dress up in costumes and are in character at all times. There are parades with the royal family and courts men, jousting matches, gypsy belly dancers, craft booths, games, and so much more. There are stage shows with musical performances and some full of random tricks (such as sword swallowing, fire juggling by jesters, and fire whip cracking). Throughout the years, I have always been fond of the pirate shows. There was a new one added this year that featured a Captain Jack Sparrow impersonator. For those that have seen any of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, I don’t think I need to say much more about the excitement of that.

The three of us had a fun time. It’s definitely a very different experience that you can only get a true sense of by attending. We all had something to walk away with since we all got henna tattoos. In the past, they have lasted about a month. Well, until next year!

Captain Jack Sparrow! Well, it's close enough...