Kristen

The Next Step

by Kristen on April 30, 2014

in After College,Career Paths,College Life

It’s the last week of class . . . where has the time gone?   I know that everyone is excited that summer is nearly here.  Unfortunately, we still have that week of stress known as “finals” standing in our way.  Ugh!

Anyway, for many students, these last two weeks are the final days of school before moving into the “real”world.  Graduating seniors, besides studying for finals and finishing projects, have been preparing for graduate school or filling out job applications, completing forms for graduation, and purchasing caps and gowns.  Let me tell you, it takes a lot of work to graduate!  Preparing for the next step takes a lot of preparation.

The next step for me involves earning a graduate degree in speech-language pathology; my field requires a master’s degree before I can become a speech therapist.  I have enrolled in Fontbonne’s master’s communication disorders program, and will begin my studies this summer.  While I don’t have a lot of down time before the next leg of my academic journey begins, I will get to have some vacation time before I return to school.  Kind of.  But not really.

The day after graduation, I leave for a trip to Germany with the HST/PHL/REL 496 class on the Holocaust, and I return a few days before summer classes begin.  I am excited to be visiting a new country, but with moving to an apartment and trying to get ready for graduate school, I will be super busy for the next two months.  But since I’ll be continuing school for two more years, I don’t feel like I’m growing up quite yet.  I will be doing many of the same things I’ve been doing—attending classes, seeing friends, working.  I think that my next step in schooling is slowing my progression to adulthood.  Which can be both good and bad.

What is your next step in life?  Are you beginning a new job, a new school, or a new year at Fontbonne?