Marielle

The Seaweed is Always Greener

by Marielle on April 28, 2014

in After College,Campus Community,College Life,New & Future Students

One of the things I like best about Fontbonne, and I’m sure I’ve said this many times before, is how easy it is to get involved in things.  And not just get involved, but dominate.  Perhaps this sounds negative, but I’ve always felt that Fontbonne provides a perfect “big fish in a little pond” atmosphere, and that’s been really helpful to my personal success here.
Let me explain a little further. Looking at me now, you’d never doubt that I love being the center of attention.  I love seeing emails about being in Fontbonne photoshoots, I have no problem giving presentations or making videos to share about Environmental Club, and of course I jumped at the chance to write a blog for Fontbonne as well.  I know a lot of people here, and I’m no stranger to them, either. That’s how I like things; I like to be friends with everyone.
Of course, some people scoff at the “big fish” analogy.  They doubt that it’s a true reflection of life, and that things will just be harder when I’m out in the real world. Well, I disagree.  How would I know how to be a big fish at all if I haven’t had any practice? Fontbonne has definitely taught me some important things about how the world works.  I’ve learned a lot about communication, compromise, and character during my time here, and those are all things I can apply to my future, no matter how big or small it is.  Because if I’m going to be in a big pond, I’d rather be a big fish than a little one.
Ah, flashback to freshman year. Loved blogging for ya, Fontbonne! It was an honor, a privilege, and a pleasure.