Scrambled Eggs

by Isabella on April 28, 2014

in College Life,Faith

I went to Sam’s Club today and I bought a carton of delightful brown eggs. When I got back to my apartment, the first thing I did was make myself some scrambled eggs. Mmmm… they were really good. I follow Gordon Ramsay’s recipe for them; constantly stirring over medium heat with a little wedge of butter, when it begins to form, add milk, salt, and then take off the heat while stirring. Sooner or later, it’s cooked to perfection.

Uh…Why am I writing about scrambled eggs?

Because when I get the craving for scrambled eggs, my body clock knows that finals is approaching. Cue freak-outs. Grade woes. Cramming. The whole ridiculous foray into existentialism; “why am I here?” “why am I doing this?” “is it all worth it?” Granted, some of us can manage time better than others, but finals are always served with a side of stress. Like many others, I tend to eat my stress away. I’m trying to do better, I promise! But I also promise that I have a point with my blog post.

Scrambled eggs are really such a comfort food for me. Eggs are regularly a college students’ go-to-meal. And to some extent, eating eggs makes me feel like Gaston from “Beauty and the Beast”- powerful, confident, and goal-oriented. Just… not obnoxiously evil. But it’s the comfort I crave. The feeling that everything’s going to be all right. When you’re away from your parents, especially in a another country, comfort is not readily available to you. But the longer you live here, the more ways, and the more people, you find bring you that sense of, “everything is going to be all right.” Food is only one way I find that. I also find that through hanging out with my friends, accomplishing a summary report, going for walks in Forest Park, going to the Art Museum, and feeling the breeze on my face after this long winter.

A lot of changes are occurring and a lot of people are leaving us, but I am comforted with  my scrambled eggs, and also in knowing that I can trust Fontbonne to give me that omnipresent feeling that things will work out in the end, and there will always be someone here to tell you that.