Hello! Today, I am going to be sharing my thoughts on community service and its relevance to Fontbonne’s mission statement.

“Why is service so important?”

Serving your community lets others know that you want to help change the world little by little while gaining a new perspective of life. Service, amidst being so important, is beneficial for communication skills as well as other attributes that are admirable in the work place.

“Why is it important for Fontbonne to encourage and participate in service as a whole?”

At Fontbonne, it is important and somewhat obligatory to be inclusive and welcoming as a part of promoting and participating in community service. People, especially college-aged students, need to understand the value of contributing to such great causes, whether those be for the environment or social justice.

“And why is service important to you personally?”

I just really love helping people and accomplishing either tough or fun tasks that promote goodness and the cultivation of a stronger community . It makes me happy to see others smile! I always think, “Wow, we just made a huge impact on someone’s life today. I’m so proud of us,” after I finish a day of service with various groups of people.

“Who has influenced your thoughts on service and community contribution?”

My parents. I owe it all to them. (And God, of course)! They taught me well.

A couple of examples of places that offer amazing volunteer opportunities are 1) NAMI St. Louis (National Alliance on Mental Illness) and 2) Saint Vincent de Paul thrift stores. If you have the chance, check either out on the web to learn more about their causes.

Thank you so much for reading! Good luck with studying for finals, everyone. Ta, ta for now!