Freedom of the Open Road

by Kristen on April 15, 2014

When I came to Fontbonne as a freshman, I decided that I had no need for a car on campus.  Because Fontbonne is so small, it only takes a few minutes to walk to each building on campus.  And without a job or student teaching, I had few reasons to go far from campus.  Why would I need to drive anywhere?

However, this semester I have a nannying job a few miles from school.  My new job and upcoming graduation convinced me it was time to get a car.

Let me preface what I’m about to say with this:  having a car on campus is not necessary.  There are restaurants, a grocery store, and a Walgreens within walking distance.  Students in off-campus practicums, for education majors, often set up carpooling to help students who cannot drive themselves.  If you don’t have a car for college, it is possible to get by without one.  That being said, I feel very free now that I do have a car.  I can drive myself wherever I need or want to go.  Which usually means target and Whole Foods every weekend.  Even better than driving myself places—I can now give other people rides!  It’s nice to be able to pay others back for all the times they had to drive me places.  I have some wonderful friends who have taken me to the store countless times, to visit graduate schools, and to the hospital when I have needed it, but I am glad that I can now give them a ride when they need my help.

Even though I can technically go anywhere in St. Louis now that I can drive myself around, I haven’t been to many new places.  I attribute this to the busyness of the semester; hopefully this summer I can visit some different areas in St. Louis!  If you have any suggestions of great places you love, please let me know!