…And Decisions.

in After College,Athletics,Career Paths,College Life

A couple of weeks ago as a blog prompt, it was suggested we post a picture that pretty much sums up our Fontbonne career. Here’s a good one to sum up my life as of late:

We may be freezing, but we are still the best looking women's team ever.

I don’t think I’ve ever been so sleep deprived in my entire life, between early morning track practices, staying up late in an attempt to do homework, losing sleep over trying to decide what to do with myself next fall, and feeling all-around sad that my time at Fontbonne is almost up. But…for as much sleep as I’ve lost over it, I finally have decided what I’m going to do next year. And while I’m really nervous about leaving St. Louis (a year ago I would have never said that, remember?) and Fontbonne and my teammates here, it hit me pretty hard yesterday that I’m super stoked about the next weird adventure I’m about to embark on.

Last week (It seriously feels like a month ago!), I met my dad early on a Friday morning to go visit Missouri S&T. The drive down was pretty uneventful. I ate my oatmeal and tried really, really hard to stay awake as I watched the city turn into the familiar rural landscape that I’ve come to appreciate even more with all of the road trips I took last semester to cross country meets in the middle of nowhere. And when we stopped so dad could get a coffee at McDonald’s and I sat there listening to a big group of old farmers having breakfast together, I felt even more at home (I love small farming communities! So much!). And sure, once we stepped onto the actual campus I thought, “Nope, I want to go back to Fontbonne!” I slowly began to picture myself there. I imagined what it would look like in the fall with the leaves turning colors. I imagined what I would look like carrying around a Mechanics of Materials textbook (I looked smart, in my imagination. Naturally.).

Our meeting with the chair of the Civil, Architectural, and Environmental department went well. Especially considering the fact that he opened up the meeting by telling us that my best bet would be to not get a second undergraduate degree in Environmental Engineering, but to go straight for my Master’s instead. My dad, being a Rolla alum with an engineering mind-set may know everything (see previous post), but he didn’t know that I could do that! We both figured that a Master’s would require an undergraduate degree in engineering. But, as it turns out, that’s not the case! We took a tour of the facilities, learned about the research going on (Did you know that the air you breathe and the toxic chemicals in it are more harmful than the toxins in the food you eat? Hmm…), dad pointed out that I have three more years of collegiate running eligibility to use (I MUST USE IT!!), and all the while I knew in my mind exactly what my decision was.

The other day, as I was cramming in the tutoring room hours before my fourth physics test (best idea ever!), a chemistry teacher came up to me and asked if I was an engineering student. I texted my dad about it later that afternoon, and he asked me what my response to the professor was.

I told him, “Yes! That’s what I’ve decided!”

Yes, it looks like I can finally, finally get some sleep now.

-Carly