Carlyn

Dallas Days

by Carlyn on April 15, 2014

in Academics,Career Paths

Every spring, the fashion merchandising department alternates between taking trips to New York City and Dallas. I had the absolute time of my life on the NYC trip last year, so couldn’t wait for the Dallas one this year. It was a short, but sweet trip that lasted three days. This study tour landed during a very busy time of year, but the amount of information I learned, beautiful weather, and peer bonding throughout the experience definitely made it worth it. There were 10 students and two faculty members that attended (all ladies!).

The first day there, we visited the Dallas Market Center, which is where hundreds of showrooms are located. Many retail buyers come here from all across the world to purchase merchandise for their store. As a class, we were able to tour the building and meet with some showroom representatives for great Q and A sessions. In the evening, we spent time browsing the stores at the Dallas Galleria, then all ate together at an amazing Mexican restaurant.

Day two started out with a tour of the Mary Kay manufacturing plant. This was neat to see. I learned so much about their products and all the good the company does, making me a Mary Kay supporter now. Following that, we went to Mary Kay headquarters, in which professionals on the marketing side presented to us. There was a museum there too. The afternoon consisted of a visit to a company that works with pattern making and product development. Day two ended with more shopping in the West Village area, full of unique boutiques. Dinner that night consisted of one of the best pizzas I’ve ever eaten. My cousin lives near Dallas, so I had the opportunity to reunite with her that night.

Day three was the busiest, with no riding-in-taxis down time in between meetings. The entire day, referred to as “Career Day,” was spent at the Dallas Market Center again. This time, we listened to an inspiring motivational speaker and attended three educational sessions that were presented by a variety of professionals in the industry that traveled to be there. In addition, my trend board project was on display. To end the day, design students showcased their outstanding work in a fashion show. After that, it was already time to head back to the airport.

Everyone I encountered throughout the Dallas trip was extremely nice. They get the reputation of Southern hospitality for a reason. In a short amount of time, I saw a lot of new things. Trips like these are so beneficial to learning more about the fashion industry and what my niche is. It’s always helpful to travel and see what parts of the country I like best too. Last, but not least, I am grateful that I got to spend quality time with the other girls within my major. We created college memories that will be treasured forever.

At the Dallas airport with the class, as we depart back to St. Louis