In college, it’s hard to keep up with, well, EVERYTHING. I’ve got your back; you know who you are, busy bees. Without further ado, I have made a list of 5 ways I have gotten into the habit of doing to progress and promote personal wellness!
1. Wake up at the same time everyday. Our bodies are regulated by a psychological something called circadian rhythms. That is, in simple terms, our bodies have internal agendas! Establish a routine of waking up at the same time every morning and your body will be happy, happy, happy! (i.e. I wake up at 9:30 AM and go for a run at 9:45) …But nothing too crazy or late early unless that is absolutely necessary.
2. Speaking of which, include at least 15 minutes of exercise in your routine, indoors or outdoors. You don’t have to be a try-hard, but once you start doing simple workouts, such as HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training; I do mine through “12 Minute Athlete”) or walking on the treadmill, you will definitely want to kick things up a notch! Your body will appreciate this kind gesture. Physical activity is über important!
3. Drink your H2O. Seriously. People say, “Oh, you must have 8 glasses of water a day or else your body will be dehydrated. Hmmm, false! But, did you know that if you have a nice, cool glass of water in the morning, your metabolism rate will increase by 30%? Yep, truth be told. Also, you should really only drink water when you’re thirsty. Having ‘too much’ water can make you feel nauseous (or at least myself), but hey, at least there aren’t any calories. Bottoms up, everyone!
4. Avoid saturated fats. Long story short, avoid those salty, greasy potato chips and opt for something healthier like a fresh, leafy green salad or scrumptious fruit parfait. Both are still sooo delicious! Let’s be honest here.
5. Last but not least, keep up with your studies and stay out of drama. Getting homework done is the most relieving thing ever. Like the common teenage girl would say on her social networking profile, “I can’t even-.” Ha, meeee neither. As far as drama goes, it’s better to just choose the right friends; friends that will positively influence you and your decision-making. If you don’t like the gossip someone is spreading or what they’re doing, go and find something more fun to do and less of a waste of your time! You deserve the self-recognition for time well-spent, so be proud of you and your healthy habits.
Hopefully these tips help in some way, shape, or form. I definitely know that they have helped for me! Have a great rest of your week and drink your water Your body will love you for it. Ta, ta for now!