Marielle

Written in my Soul From Me to You

by Marielle on March 31, 2014

in Campus Community,Organizations, Activities & Events

I’m gonna take this opportunity to chat a bit about a workshop I’m doing for the Human Environmental Sciences department this week – Wednesday, April 2nd, at 11am to be precise. The presentation I’m giving is based off of a project I did in my Methods in Teaching class last semester, which in itself is based off of a book I read. The book is called “The Four Agreements”, the author is Don Miguel Ruiz, and the philosophy expounded therein is the way that I try to live my life.
The basic principle is this: all you really need to live a happy and fulfilled life is to take these “Four Agreements” to heart and follow them the best that you can. Here are the Agreements:
1. Be Impeccable with Your Word. This basically means to speak with integrity and spread kindness with the things you say. Don’t gossip, don’t lie, and don’t say hurtful things to yourself or others.
2. Don’t Take Anything Personally. Be immune to the actions and words of others. Nothing they say or do is really because of you, anyway. It’s all a result of their own opinions, thoughts, and projection of reality. Don’t let it bring you down.
3. Don’t Make Assumptions. Communicate clearly with other people in order to understand how they really feel. You can avoid pain, misunderstandings, and needless drama just by not jumping to conclusions about why someone is doing something.
4. Always Do Your Best. You won’t be able to follow the Agreements perfectly, and that’s okay. Just do the best you can in the moment. Some days will be good, some days will be bad, but all you can do is take what is given to you and make the best of it.
The rules are simple, but I think they’re pretty profound as well. If you want to hear more about it (and get a chance to win a prize) come to the event on Wednesday! Hopefully it will help others as much as it has helped me.