Marielle

Vegan Cheeseburgers in Paradise

by Marielle on March 7, 2014

I’ll be up front about this blog post: I have some weird eating habits. I’m pretty picky about food, and being a vegan in college is not without its challenges. However, I’ve learned to adapt: the dining hall here does offer a good salad bar and fruit, which is right up my alley, and I cook a lot in my room as well. Over the years, I’ve had such gadgets as a blender, crock pot, microwave, dehydrator, and spiralizer in my dorm room at various points, and I’ve used them all.  Here’s a rundown of the details:
Blender: Good for smoothies, obviously. Bananas, oatmeal, soymilk, and strawberries are all things I like to work with. I’ve also made soup before, which was an interesting process.
Crock pot: I’ve mostly used it for making beans and lentils. Dried beans are cheap, a good source of protein, and easier to cook than you think. Basically just turn it on and let it go.  I’ve also made my own yogurt. Don’t believe me? Check it out: http://funkyfoodallergies.blogspot.com/2009/02/allergen-free-yogurt-recipe.html
Microwave: The holy grail of dorm cooking. I don’t even think I need to explain the necessity of this. I like to steam vegetables in my microwave (yeah, I’m the jerk who nukes broccoli at the expense of my whole dorm floor; DEAL WITH IT), but you can also use it to make pizza rolls if that’s more your thing.
Dehydrator: Yeah, I’m a hippy. A dehydrator just removes water from food at a really slow rate, so you can make things like banana chips and dried fruit. I’ve made sweet potato chips before, too, which was pretty rad. http://livingfree.aubreecherie.com/2011/04/raw-crispy-sweet-potato-chips/
Spiralizer: Did I mention I was a hippy? I also like to do things like make noodles out of zucchinis, and a spiralizer helps you do just that. They’re also super healthy for you – mix em with a little store bought pasta sauce and give it a try.
Now, I realize about 90% of people aren’t as crazy as I am, but even if you aren’t, you can step out of your comfort zone with these tips. Happy dorm cooking!