Joanna

St. Louis’ Perks

by Joanna on March 31, 2014

in College Life,Extracurricular,In Saint Louis

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/21/st-louis-reasons-to-love_n_4993763.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

After reading this article in The Huffington Post, I have to say I agree with it. I am not a St. Louis native, but in the few months I have lived here, I have learned that there really  are a lot of wonderful things about St. Louis.

St. Louis is a very friendly city, and reading the stats on how St. Louisans help their community has made me believe that even more.

The fact that so much is free is certainly the number one perk for college students. Let’s see…what have I been to that’s free — the zoo, the history museum, the art museum, the artists guild, Forest Park of course, and outdoor concerts at Oak Knoll.

And even the things that aren’t free, are still relatively cheap — the Jewel Box is $1 and Pageant concerts can be as cheap as $15 (if you’re into that kind of hipster music, which I am).

St. Louis is also a great place for college students to find jobs. Even if you don’t have a car, there are several places within walking distance of Fontbonne that consistently hire people. I work at a daycare nearby, but you can also work at St. Michael’s school as an after school care teacher, you can work at Orange Leaf (the frozen yogurt place by Schnuck’s), there is a tanning salon, Katie’s Pizza, Walgreen’s, and a little bit farther away is Starbuck’s. These, of course, are also good places to go for fun! :)

It most certainly is a hub for artistic minds, as well. If you walk down the Loop, there are stars for famous people, sculptures, and even a wall where you can write your life dreams in chalk. Music is everywhere — outdoor concerts can be found at Oak Knoll and Forest Park in warm weather. In fact, I recently attended Love Fest on Art Hill and it was a blast! ¬†There are also several concert halls/amphitheatres throughout St. Louis. The Pageant, Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre, The Muny, and Peabody Opera House, and of course, The Fox if you like musicals!

St. Louis is certainly a wonderful place to be, and I think it suits all ages. There are plenty of family-friendly events, but also places for young adults and old geezers. There is always plenty to do and lots within the constraints of your pocket money.