Courtney

My First and Last

by Courtney on March 16, 2014

I’m not going to lie – when I travel, it’s almost always with my family. I’m close to my family, so we just tend to do things together. I haven’t taken a trip without my family since high school, assuming you count our required overnight religious retreats as “trips.” However, in just a few days, I’ll be embarking on a trip to Louisville, Kentucky, with a Fontbonne special topics course centered on the Humana Play Festival.

The Humana Play Festival is an annual event at the Actors Theatre in Louisville. It is one of the biggest new play festivals in the country. With my class, I will have the opportunities to see five full-length plays and to attend workshops related to all things theatre. The girls I’m rooming with and I are also hoping to take a couple of sightseeing side trips, most likely to the Louisville Slugger Museum where the famous MLB bats are manufactured and to Churchill Downs.

Yes, this trip is extremely rare for me. It’ll be my first and last solo trip in college, and, since I’m going to be a biologist, it’ll most likely be the only trip that I’ll take specifically to enjoy theatre. I’m really looking forward to going on this trip and making some final Fontbonne memories in Louisville.