Charity Musings

by Isabella on March 10, 2014

This morning, my friend Jes and her father loaded almost 10 bags of gently used clothes and goods into my room. Why? Because I’ve been collecting such donations for the past three months to send to my aunt, who works with the local government in Antique, Philippines, with Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda relief. I am relieved and overwhelmed by the charism of our community. Why relieved? Because I didn’t think I could pull off this project! Being in graduate school, my time is taken up by my practicum and classes, so there’s little time for promoting this widely. But thanks to word-of-mouth, ODK (Omicron Delta Kappa) meetings, Campus Ministry, and the International Students Alliance, here I am with nearly 5 boxes of goods to send. My next challenge? SEND THEM! :)

But then, that got me thinking. Fontbonne has such an inherent recognition and drive for service to the dear neighbor. When I spoke to Mr. Stevens this morning, he brought up how many “charities” still profit from… charity! CEOs receive colossal salaries, and clothes get thrown on the wayside, and food ends up spoiled beyond the can’s expiration date. How are we to trust that we can give rightly? Our cynical world can be quite nit-picky on whether we can trust charities to do good.

I think just being here, we are taught about giving service and recognizing service; how service can be given locally and internationally, and our student organizations take so much pride in it that students also learn how fun it can be. Whether it is giving one person a minute of your time to help them, by planning a benefit concert for Human Trafficking, or going to Kenya. My teachers showed me how to recognize and respond to ways of helping where is needed. It’s certainly helpful that, rooted in the CSJs, we can pray and trust the God will lead us rightly.

With Fontbonne Day coming up, and registration open, I hope you are encouraged to serve in ways you’ve never served before, because the challenge is fun, and you can trust yourself to know what to do!