Carlyn

Love Nest in AB

by Carlyn on February 5, 2014

in Academics,Extracurricular

Last semester I was in a visual merchandising class. Throughout the semester, the entire class was in charge of building the window displays in Anheuser-Busch (AB) Hall (there are three different ones). It was a lot of fun to come up with a creative idea, and then see that image come to life. I didn’t want to stop. So, my roommate/best friend, Conner Lundius, and I volunteered to keep up with the displays this semester. We are doing it on our own since there is not a class this semester to take care of it. Yes, it is a lot of extra work that we don’t need to do, but we want to. It’s nice knowing we have complete creative control.

During the first week of school, Conner and I thoroughly discussed our plan for the windows. We wanted our first one to be completed by the beginning of February and have a Valentine’s Day theme and call it “Love Birds.” However, we didn’t want to be too traditional. Therefore, we added a quirky element by adding the crafty bird heads to the mannequins. We wanted the love nest to have a messy element to it (hence the sticks and bamboo chips covering the floor), yet also a glamorous feel (we couldn’t help but incorporate some glitter). We are both really pleased with the outcome of our first installation and are excited for the other ones to come. Although it’s been hard squeezing time in between class, meetings, interning, work, homework, giving tours, etc. to work on the display, it is definitely worth it after seeing the final result. Like with everything else in life, Conner and I make it work.