Life without Biology

in Academics,College Life

I can’t imagine my life without influences from the hard sciences, specifically from biology. However, this semester, I have but one biology course, which is an independent study course that, though awesome in itself, isn’t exactly what I would consider to be exactly on track with my career intents.

If you’ve read my previous blogs of the semester, you’ll already know that I’m just spending this semester taking a few elective independent study courses and finishing up my theatre minor. (You see, I’m one of those people that will stop at nothing to do what I said I was going to do. Completing biotechnology? Check. Completing physiology? Check. Completing my chemistry minor? Check. Completing Spanish proficiency? Check. The only “check” I have yet to issue is to the question of finishing my theatre minor, which I will have done by the end of the semester.)

All of that being said, however, I have to add that I miss the constant challenge of balancing eighteen (or more) hours of all science courses. I’ve grown accustomed to reading through dense textbooks; instead, I’m currently reading through plays left and right. Do I love plays? Most definitely! It’s just a different challenge, something that is harder for me to get used to than I initially anticipated.

This semester, though, is providing me with other exciting opportunities. I was able to catch up with a good friend over a two-hour lunch at Steak ‘n’ Shake over the weekend. I’m devoting a lot more time to working in my internship lab, and I’m also continuing my work as a Fontbonne peer tutor for biology. All in all, life is good, except for the fact that I truly miss the biology classes that I used to have.