Deanna

Choosing my Major

by Deanna on February 26, 2014

in Academics,After College

I always remember sitting in my classes the first day of class, and observing the type of decorating and arrangement of the classroom my teachers had done, but especially thinking of all the different things I would have done if it were my classroom. The most vivid time I recall doing this is my first day of 8th grade, and I think that was when I was at an age were I finally realized “Hey, being a teacher seems like it would be a fun career choice!” Luckily, that thought was true, but it’s also a lot of work, but rewarding work. In high school I had many amazing teachers, but especially my math teachers. I remember geometry class my sophomore year as the year I decided I wanted to be a high school math teacher. I realized this because in our classes we could contract for different levels of classes, and each level had varying expectations of you, I always went for the middle level because I knew I was good at math, but I never saw my self as an exceptional student in any subject area. I was smart, but none of it came super easy to me, so I never wanted to stress myself out by contracting for the hardest levels. My geometry teacher quickly realized that I should have contracted for the higher level because I sat there in class bored because I would be flying through that night’s homework while she was still teaching that material. Because she actually took notice of this, and cared enough to encourage me to change my level and challenge myself more I discovered that having a good math teacher, who cares about your learning is really important.

Knowing my major prior to college certainly made choosing Fontbonne easy, because they have a great Education department. Fall semester of my sophomore year here at Fontbonne I had a class where we had to observe in a school for the first time. Because they generally lump middle school and secondary education majors together (There are not as many of us as there are elementary, early , or special education) I was placed in a middle school just because of space in the high school math classes. I am very grateful I was because I found out how fun middle school students can be, and they are still eager and willing to learn. This is the reason I switched from Secondary Education to Middle School Education, but I am still planning to be a math teacher and I am very happy with my choices to this day.