“…for this thing we call “failure” is not the falling down, but the staying down.”

by Lauren on February 19, 2014

in Academics,College Life

I have become quite seasoned at this whole college thing.  A lot of what I have learned about being successful in college has been through trial and error.  When I first started college, I took as many credit hours as I could, sometimes 18 at a time.  For some majors this is the norm; however, with my busy lifestyle, I was unable to keep my grades where I would like them to be.  I also tried online classes so that I would have the flexibility of not having to go to class, but I was unable to keep up with all the due dates without having a teacher present to remind me.  It wasn’t until I was determined to succeed that I was able to be the best student I could. I take all of my classes online in the Pathways Program so it is imperative that I stay on top of my assignments.  For example, I have a binder.  I know it may sound weird but it helps me stay on track.  I have a calendar with due dates as well as the syllabus for every class I am taking and any important papers I might need to reference.  I don’t always have the time to get online and check my email or Blackboard but I can make sure I am current on what assignments I need to work on by just checking my binder.  A game-changer for me was choosing a major that I was passionate about.  By actually caring about the material and what I am learning, I am motivated to do my very best.  There will always be bumps along the way, but with passion and organization, I will cross that finish line.