Kristen

Back to School

by Kristen on January 29, 2014

in Academics,College Life

Hello again!  It’s been a long break from blogging for me.  Of course, winter break was long in general.  I think I could’ve gone crazy from staying inside so much, with all the snow and cold weather we had at the beginning of the month.  So it’s nice to be back at school where I have classes and friends to occupy my time.

I don’t know about you, but the first few weeks of new classes are always weird for me.  It takes a while to get used to new schedules, teachers, and seating positions.  In fact, I frequently forget where I sit in class.  It’s hard to keep things straight when you have the same classroom for multiple classes.  I hope to get used to my new seats soon so I no longer walk into classrooms and blank out!

On a more organized note….

What I really wanted to talk about today is time management skills.  At the beginning of each year, many people look at their lives and try to organize, clean, and refresh.  I would like to share some of my organizational methods with you, in case you’re looking for some pointers.

1.  Don’t over book your schedule:  I am guilty of doing this one often, but it’s something I’m working on.  It is important to have down time in your schedule, for resting, homework, or running errands that pop up during the week.  As students, we endure long days, with classes, sports, jobs, and meetings.  From personal experience, I can say that being Energizer bunnies (they keep on going) all the time is exhausting.  Having a little time to yourself during the week can save you some stress and cranky days.

2.  Write everything down:  I have both a planner and a calendar, and use both regularly to keep track of everything I have to accomplish.  With so many assignment due dates, tests, club meetings, practices, etc. I find it helpful to have a place to look to find what I need to do each day.  It keeps me from feeling overwhelmed and forgetting to do things.  Another way I write tasks down is using to-do lists.  Before I start homework, I always make a list to give me a starting point.  It’s easier for me to know what to work on when I have a concrete list in front of me.

3.  Limit the procrastination:  Everyone puts things off now and then, but waiting until the night before a project is due to begin said project never ends well.  I find it helpful to begin planning for major projects a few weeks in advance, so when I actually start putting it together, I at least have some notes to give me direction.  It’s also helpful to break down a big project into steps to do each week, so I don’t have to finish everything in one sitting (which gets super tedious).

4.  Sleep is your friend:  As college students, we often sacrifice sleep for studying or friends.  However, it is difficult to get through a long day without getting enough sleep on a regular basis.  It’s also harder to concentrate in class without sleep.  And isn’t learning the real reason why we came to college?  While coffee can compensate for a few hours, it’s always best to get the sleep we need.  So make sure you’re getting enough sleep for your body and mind (8 hours is recommended for our age!).

Hopefully these tips can help you get your schedule on track for this semester.  There is a lot coming up to look forward to.  Good luck as you finish out your year!