Tara Jones

Monkey See, Monkey Do

by Tara Jones on January 29, 2014

in Campus Community,College Life

Sometimes, people feel pressured to do what everyone else is doing. Although, ‘sometimes’ might be an understatement. You know what I mean? It’s as if there is this constant reminder from our acquaintances that somehow they are ‘alpha.’

Well, I’m pretty sure we were all created equal. Maybe not. Eh, who knows?

Sarcasm.

All I’m saying is: Let’s quit fooling ourselves. We really only want to be like ourselves. We don’t want anyone else to be like us. Our uniqueness is what gives us some pride – the good kind.

On the contrary, it’s one of the BIGGEST compliments for others to try and be like us (only a little)! You should be flattered. Yeah, it will be annoying to try and be thankful for people ‘copying’ you in some way – and I apologize for being so derogative – but it shows your impact on others.

You’re inspirational! A sensation, I say.

Now, what is the point for bringing this topic up on Fontbonne’s blog? Jealousy is rampant in smaller campus communities. (Or maybe I am just giving that as an example because truly, it’s everywhere). Don’t believe me? Try to be a little more observant. It’s all in the eyes and language. The dining halls have suddenly turned into catwalks, everyone’s eyes meticulously scrutinizing your every gesture, expression, and clothing item.

What’s up with that?!

Please…I honestly don’t know. But you know what? Let them look. If you’re confident with who you are inside and out, don’t let anyone’s once-overs claw underneath your thick skin and tear you apart. You can’t say you haven’t done the same ;-)

Food for thought. Thanks for reading! Ta ta for now.