A Word about the Library…

by Alumni Posts on December 9, 2013

in Academics,College Life

I must admit that during my undergrad studies I went to the library to A.) Print a paper when my dorm printer didn’t work, B.) Find a book to use as a cited source when the professor required it, and finally (my favorite) C.) Take a nap!  Now, college students, I am not saying this is the best way to use the library!  As a matter of fact, now that I am in my graduate studies I have found myself in the library more than not, especially these last few weeks.  I think the Librarians even know my favorite computer and my habit of grabbing a soda and snack after I claimed said computer then sitting down and punching out paper after paper.  For those that don’t know, teaching majors have to complete what is called the Culminating Project which is a 3-inch binder filled with data reports, papers, lesson plans, reflections and samples of student work.  Now, if you are like me and a commuter, the Library is the best place to complete this massive piece of work.

When at home, I find myself distracted by my dog who constantly feels she should be petted or played with, TV shows and movies, my parents telling me to do something, and of course taking a nap.  However, when at the Library I have nothing else to do but sit and write.  It’s amazing how when at home it takes me an entire day to punch out three papers, but at the Library I can be there for an hour and have my daily allotment of work done.

I honestly have no idea how I would have gotten my Culminating Project done without the Library at Fontbonne!  If you are also fortunate like me and find yourself living out in a very rural area where the local Library doesn’t even have a computer then heading out to Fontbonne was the only way I had to print my papers out (I say this because after my last move my printer found its way down a flight of stairs, it doesn’t work so well).

To wrap this up, I must say, during finals or even during a stressful time try the Library, it can’t hurt to try!