Holiday Cookie Making

by Alumni Posts on December 12, 2013

Each year my family gathers for a cookie making day.  Now, for some reason we bake at the beginning of the month and somehow think that the cookies will make it to Christmas Eve, which they never do.  The cookies we make are Brookies, Red Hots and Smuckers.

A Brookie is basically brownie batter, topped with cookie batter baked in a cupcake wrapper.  The brownies are best prepared “fudge” style and the cookies are best prepared as chocolate chip cookies.

Red Hots are simply sugar cookies topped with red hot candies.  My grandmother loved red hot candies so her cookies were basically 80% red hot candies and 20% cookie whereas mine are usually the opposite.

Smuckers are a wonderful cookie!  They are like mini pies!  And so delicious!  This is something that my family has been making each year since long before I was even thought of.  The cookie is more of a cream cheese based cookie, I guess it could be a sugar cookie but the cream cheese gives it a nice tart base to the sweet Smucker’s preservatives inside.  There is one base cookie where you dollop a small amount of Smucker’s preserves (we prefer Strawberry) then an egg sealer and top it will another cookie.  This creates a wonderful little pie.

These are our family cookies, what types of baking traditions does your family have?