Courtney

And You Say I’m Not Competitive

by Courtney on December 2, 2013

I’m not athletic. I don’t relish in the idea of a trophy room. I’d rather see everyone who sincerely tries succeed instead of seeing the same few people being successful all of the time. However, all of that being said, I’m definitely excited to have taken home first place from my microbiology lab’s first Thanksgiving pie-off.

What started as a joke turned in to one of the biggest events of this fall at my lab. Test pies were made before the actual event. One of the would-be judges was disqualified because he knew who was making each type of pie. Even some “trash talk” was issued over lunch. (“You bake pies like your momma. Unless your momma bakes good pies, in which case you bake nothing like your momma.”) Yep, it got intense.

We started out the competition day with what one of my lab managers called the “pie parade,” which was basically just us bringing our pies into the building and putting them into our refrigerator. (Don’t worry – no bacteria or samples go in that refrigerator!) Then, at lunch, one of our scientists judged the pies. I was so enthralled to have won.

Want to make my award-winning pie? Here’s the recipe. If you want it to be more like my pie, use these modifications: I didn’t make my own whipped cream. I just used Cool Whip. I used one entire normal-sized (sorry, I’m not sure of the actual volume) container’s contents to fold into the chocolate mixture, and I used half of another container’s contents on the top of the finished pie.

Happy Baking!! :)