Seasonal Runner

by Kristen on November 18, 2013

I’ll start off today by saying that my lost post did not resurface.  :-(  Note to self:  do not leave papers at work ever again.  I tried to recreate what I had written; hopefully it’s close to what I had before.  At the very least, I added some lovely pictures that make this new post more interesting!  You’ll find them below, between some of the paragraphs.

In the summer, I try to get up and run in the mornings, before the heat becomes sweltering.  I like being in the fresh air and sunshine; it gives me energy and increases my positivity for the rest of the day.  I should make a note here that my “running” is close to the speed of an elderly couple taking a walk.  I am not at all a fast runner, but I prefer to use that term over “jogging,” which reminds me of fuzzy sweatsuits and workout videos from the 80’s.  So running it is.

As morning temperatures begin to drop, however, I often start crawling back into bed instead of putting on my tennis shoes.  I tell myself, “I’ll run this afternoon.”  Later, when afternoon arrives, I realize that I’ll be at work until the sun goes down, and all motivation to exercise dissipates with the sinking sun.  Sad day, right?

Some days, however, I say to myself, “It’s not that cold, you’ll be okay,” and I put on my shoes and go out anyway.  And never have I regretted a morning run.   Really, does anyone ever say “I wish I hadn’t exercised today?”  Barring personal injuries, I would say no, that phrase does not exist.  When I get myself out the door and start off down the sidewalk, I am able to enjoy all the fall colors swirling around my feet.  St. Louis is so pretty this time of year, when all the leaves are changing and falling from the trees.  I never get out as much as I plan to, but I’m grateful that I do get to several times each week.

Yes, I do stop to take pictures while I run.  I know it defeats the purpose of exercising to be standing in the middle of the road with a camera, but I can’t miss the opportunity.

What do you like to do for exercise?  Besides running, I’ve tried Zumba classes and yoga classes.  Let me know if you have any interesting workout experiences to share!