Remember Who You Are

by Isabella on November 6, 2013

in College Life,Extracurricular,Uncategorized

On my Facebook page, my cover photograph is a still shot of Simba looking at the sky after Mufasa’s starry figure has just left him. The last words he said to him were, “Remember Who You Are.” I think that recently, I have personally forgotten a lot of things that are important for me. In my case, it is that of music. What triggered it was the call to sing something during Karaoke Night tonight. I was greeted with “Izzy, Izzy, Izzy, Izzy…” asking me to sing. And I was humbled by this call. So I killed the rendition of “A Moment Like This” by Kelly Clarkson. It was probably one of my best performances yet!

So, considering that… I suddenly recalled how important singing is to me. It is a way that I connect with people and with God. How on earth could I have forgotten about this part of me? The only explanation is that I have been so engulfed in speech pathology that I FORGOT that music is important to me too.

I think that in our journey to discover ourselves, we tend to lose a little bit of ourselves too. While after all, there cannot be gain without loss. When I first arrived at Fontbonne, I was a business major with intentions to obtain a minor in performing arts. In my sophomore year, I discovered that business wasn’t for me. I changed to speech pathology and fell in love with it. I also kept up with my performing arts minor. But come junior year, I felt like I needed to get a grip on speech pathology. Once my minor requirements were complete for performing arts, I bowed out and exited stage left.

Don’t get me wrong: I love my major. But the Master’s Degree is so concentrated that even though you feel much more challenged and accomplished in your major, you really need to make time for other things you love. Hope you take that advice and make sure to remember to OWN and HONE your dreams :)