…I’m Going to See Where it Leads.

in Academics,After College,College Life,Extracurricular

Don’t worry! I’m alive and well. It’s been a crazy semester, no doubt, but hands down it’s been the best of my undergrad career. I have so much to talk about! But here’s a quick run-down on the important things that have happened this semester:

1.) I finally, finally joined the cross country and track teams. I have a family, a team, here at Fontbonne! I don’t go home so much anymore! I have a completely different outlook on school and living in St. Louis compared to the negative views I had in the past. It’s amazing how getting involved with something that you love can totally change the way you look at things.
2.) I’m starting to really get into the chemistry curriculum this semester, and it’s both mind-blowing and, well, harder than I had anticipated. Also, I’ve done a lot more titrations than I would have anticipated doing in the class that I’m taking at Maryville this semester, Quantitative Analysis.
3.) I graduate next semester! I’m currently taking suggestions for what to do with my life.

I obviously still don’t have things all figured out. Last week I was having lots of second thoughts about pursuing a career in chemistry. I love chemistry in this really bizarre way, but to be honest, I’m behind since I don’t go to a school that offers a chemistry major (which explains the whole I’m-taking-a-class-through-Maryville situation). And also, to be honest, while I really love doing titrations in this really bizarre way (there’s something so satisfying about accurately reaching that end point, and I say that without a hint of sarcasm. I’m dead serious!), the thought of spending all my life in a lab fills me with…some dread. On our way back from Regionals this evening, it hit me that, while things seem kind of stressful and kind of messy right now, my life is slowly starting to fall into place. And you know what? I can finally, finally say that I like what it’s shaping up to be. Last semester I was in this weird, moody, searching place, but this semester, while I’m still trying to sort some stuff out as far as my future goes, I’m less afraid and more along the lines of totally stoked for the endless possibilities that are ahead of me.

During one of our first cross country team meetings waaay back at the beginning of the year, my teammates and I each filled out a little questionnaire. One of the questions asked us how we would describe ourselves using just one word. I found this ridiculously hard, but in the end it finally hit me. How would I describe myself? Simple:

(Outrageously) Happy.

At Conference. Probably my favorite race!

Have a good week everyone!

-Carly

“Ends of the Earth” by Lord Huron (our assistant coach introduced me to this band on the ride back from Regionals…I love it!)