Penny

Leadership shadowing

by Penny on November 26, 2013

in Academics,Career Paths,In Saint Louis

This semester, I took a leadership course for graduate students (HES535 Leadership Development for Professional Practice). In this class, we talked about different leadership styles based on theories. There were many meaningful assignments we needed to do for this class. One of my favorite projects is to shadow a CEO or president in a non-profit organization.

I chose the CEO at Health Literacy Missouri to shadow because I like their mission: “to help people make good health decisions,” and my major is related to what they do: to offer health literacy training, health environment assessments, and plan language services to help health care systems improve patient outcomes.

Dr. O’Leary is the CEO at Health Literacy Missouri. She is a very intelligent, organized, and supportive leader. She brought me to attend different meetings with her to observe different leadership styles, to experience the decision-making process and to observe the importance of synergy in the team’s action. After shadowing different meetings with Dr. O’Leary, and observing how she communicated with her staff and board members, I learned a lot leadership skills from her. The most important things I’ve learned from her is to focus on the real job. As a CEO at health literacy Missouri, Dr. O’Leary’s real job is to lead and manage that organization. She is a very knowledgeable female leader and very good at focusing on her real job. Moreover, she is a very good communicator who reads situations fast and communicates with people efficiently.

This is a one of the most meaningful projects I’ve done during my student life at Fontbonne. I will use the lessons I’ve learned from this class and Dr. O’Leary to encourage myself to be a successful leader in my future career.