Courtney

My Favorite Things

by Courtney on November 24, 2013

I’ll be the first to tell you that I’m not a big “Sound of Music” fan. It’s a classic – don’t get me wrong – but it’s just a little too “overdone” for me. However, with Thanksgiving upon us, I’d like to talk about a few of my favorite little things in life that simply make life all that much sweeter.

Music
A lot of people I’ve met are shocked when they find out that I’m in love with music. I’m an extremely analytical person who’s going to be a scientist, so I guess they think that music doesn’t really relate to me due to its deep roots in the humanities. This, however, is a completely-incorrect thought. I could go for days without checking my phone for texts, but I couldn’t go without my iPod for more than a couple of hours. Music is this higher power that nothing else in life can relate to. Along with water, food, and oxygen, music is a vital for my life.

Microbes
I’m a self-described germaphobe, but I want to devote my life to infectious disease research. (Paradox much?!) I relish studying a world that we literally can’t even see with the naked eye. From a microbiology standpoint, these tiny entities are amazing. In one sense, they’re simple, but, in other senses, they couldn’t be more complex.

Photographs
I miss my friends. School just isn’t the same without them. I miss spending half of my Wednesdays watching movies while doing homework with my best friend in the biology seminar room. I miss getting into these long, drawn out discussions/arguments about biological concepts. I have friends on campus – don’t get me wrong – but I still feel as though my “family” has already graduated. I also have friends who are – literally – in other parts of the world that I barely get to talk to anymore. Photos bring me closer to all of these friends, especially since I don’t have Facebook. I have their pictures in my binder, locker, and bedroom. I read an article about how photos of good times make life better, and, though it’s hard to explain why, I believe that this statement is completely true.

Bounty Select-a-Size Paper Towels
Yes, this is an extremely strange thing to be thankful for. But these nifty paper towels are perforated so that you can use as much as you need. In a microbiology lab, you go through a TON of paper towels because you need to keep everything as clean as possible in order to prevent cross-contamination. Select-a-Size allows me to use the amount of paper towels I need while also feeling like I’m being responsible and eco-friendly.

I know that this list is extremely unconventional, but it truly is the little things in life that makes life whole.