Carlyn

It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas

by Carlyn on November 26, 2013

Once again, another visual display has been completed in the windows of Anheuser-Busch Hall. For my visual merchandising class, this was the last installation assignment, which was bitter sweet. It’s a bit of a relief to know that winter break is just around the corner. That being said, I am really going to miss the work from this class. Doing hands-on projects almost every day is, in my opinion, the best way to learn. The visual merchandising tasks have really stretched my creativity. Just in the past semester, I feel like I have grown as an artist, student, and leader. A lot of group work and communication was required for this course.

The challenge for this final install was to use unconventional materials. Therefore, you will not find any fabric in the end result. Also, the display had to have a holiday aesthetic since they will be present throughout winter break. My group went with a white, gold, and silver color scheme and primarily used paper and ribbon. The background is full of paper snowflakes and snowballs. The mannequin’s dress is made out of ribbon. On the panels beside the mannequins, numerous strands of ornaments are hung. In the end, I believe we did a great job and that it looks very pretty. It definitely gets you in the holiday spirit. While it may look all pretty and sparkly, there was actually a lot of dirty work behind the scenes. I walked out of each class period with glitter in my eyes, fishing wire wrapped around my leg, glue under my nails, and push pins marks on my hands. I guess the saying “beauty is pain” is true sometimes.

Ribbon dress and shopping bags (she stands in the middle of the display)

One of the two side panels