Pure Love Lasts

in After College,Campus Community,Faith

It has been about twelve years since I was the flower girl for my second cousin’s wedding. Luckily for me and my family, we celebrated this past weekend with my other cousin, who just got married this past Saturday. It was an outdoor wedding, so, naturally everyone was worried as to whether the anticipated rain would hold off (at least for the ceremony). Thankfully, it did, and it was beautiful.

The main gist of my story is that it’s been so long since I’ve attended a wedding that I feel as if I just discovered (or “re-discovered”) what true love means. You see, I was too young to remember what the heck was going on during the last wedding I took part in, so, attending this one was quite refreshing.

As I was waiting in line for food, I eavesdropped on a woman talking to someone behind me. She was saying how amazing this whole wedding has been, especially with their love being “so pure.” It was after that moment I began to think what “pure love” really meant. Seeing the lovely couple look into each others’ eyes as they swayed during their “first dance,” and how the groom held the bride in his arms, you just knew that their love was “pure.” There were no words to describe the moment.

Pure love is around us all the time. In our families, our friends. Pure love means that you would rather suffer than see someone else suffer, or create suffering for someone. Pure love is about seeing the good in others, not the bad. It is unconditional.

What I witnessed this past Saturday has changed my point of view on life and love. Love is a beautiful gift from God. Treasure it.

“Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. ” – 1 Corinthians 13:4-7