Marielle

Take the Time to Appreciate

by Marielle on October 23, 2013

in Academics,Career Paths,College Life,New & Future Students

When someone asks me what my favorite course has been so far during my time at Fontbonne, I always give the same answer: Music Appreciation. This response has the tendency to baffle people. I took it first semester my freshman year, it’s a Gen Ed class, and it has absolutely nothing to do with my major. Most people in the class considered it busywork and a fat waste of time. But not me!
Besides the fact that I love music, and relished in the fact that I was learning about everything from Gregorian chants to Franz Liszt to Elvis Presley, Music Appreciation class reminded me of something important. College is about more than just taking your major classes and getting your degree. College is your opportunity to expand your horizons. You have the ability to take all kinds of amazing classes while you’re here, and learn all kinds of things. Not that your major classes aren’t important – I love mine, and they let me know I’m going into the right field. But you can’t neglect the other aspects of learning. Philosophy, Fine Arts, and History can teach us relevant things as well. So don’t take your classes for granted – learn all you can throughout your time here, and you won’t regret it in the future!