Carlyn

Survival of the Punkest

by Carlyn on October 23, 2013

in Academics,College Life

This semester, my favorite class is Visual Merchandising and Store Planning. Most of the course is very hands-on and project based, which I think is the best way to learn. One thing that we do as a class is install various visual displays throughout the semester. These display windows and cases are located in the Anheuser Busch building, home of the fashion merchandising department. The most recent displays are each based on a different decade: 1950s, 1970s, and 1990s. My group was assigned to do the 90s one. Honestly, at first I was a little disappointed, because the 90s was my least favorite decade of the possible options provided. However, I ended up having a lot of fun with my display. And, I got to do something very different from my usual aesthetic, which was a great growing experience.

I worked with a group of four other girls. We decided to go with a 1990s punk theme. Usually it would be more like me to do a project filled with girly colors and flowers. But I am really proud of the punk display. It brought out my tough girl side (which I didn’t even know existed!). The entire back is spray painted graffiti that we painted on paper and pinned to the wall. Hanging on the sides are strands of CDs tied together. There is trash overflowing from the beat-up can and scattered on the floor, as if the setting takes place in a back street alley. Finally, there are four rebellious punk girls showcased in cool, punk, black leather outfits. The looks are completed with studded shoes and Mohawk hair styles (which are made out of tissue paper).

This display will only be showcased in Anheuser Busch for one more week (including the 50s and 70s ones). They all look great, so it’s a shame they have to come down so quick. However, there will be new ones up soon. Keep in tune to see what the Visual Merchandising class will come up with next!