Carlyn

ODK Gaming and Campaigning

by Carlyn on October 16, 2013

in Organizations, Activities & Events,Our Causes

As you probably already know, October is breast cancer awareness month. In support of that, Fontbonne Griffin Gang (the group that works to promote school spirit) hosted a Big Pink Volleyball tournament. This took place after the women’s volleyball team played against Westminster. All the players wore pink jerseys. Also, pink t-shirts, balloons, and even cupcakes were being passed out to the crowd. I loved looking at a sea of pink.

The recreational tournament was unlike traditional volleyball games. We used a giant, and I mean giant, inflatable pink ball. It was actually a lot harder than it looked to lift that monstrous thing over the net. It was fun though; definitely not something anybody can say they play on a daily basis (or even have at all). The team that I played on was #ODKAlltheWay. This was a group of Omicron Delta Kappa (ODK) Leadership Society members. We did not win the tournament, but we all enjoyed ourselves and supported a worthy cause and event. As cliché as it may sound, that is all that truly matters.

Speaking of ODK and a worthy cause, ODK sponsored a campaign the morning after Big Pink Volleyball. The campaign is called It Can Wait, which encourages people to not text while they are driving. Tables were set up in the library, cafeteria, and DSAC so that people could learn more about the dangers of this habit and the statistics. Then, they were able to sign and pledge and receive a car decal as a reminder. Not to brag or anything, but I’m proud that Fontbonne is affiliated with so many great causes and organizations. And, I am proud that I can say that I’m a part of them.