This is going to be one of those “propaganda” posts for a Fontbonne activity (consider yourself warned).  But it won’t be painful, I promise! I want to tell you a little bit about NSSLHA. What is this acronym, Kristen? I’m so glad you asked!

NSSLHA stands for the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association. As its name states, NSSLHA is a national organization for undergraduate and graduate students studying communication disorders. At Fontbonne, NSSLHA is for Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) and Deaf Education majors. We (I am a member!) hold meetings the first week of each month.

Why should I join NSSLHA? Besides being a great place to meet other students in your major, NSSLHA provides opportunities for service and learning about the communication disorders field. NSSLHA brings speakers to Fontbonne each semester to speak on topics like places you can work with your degree or on specific disorders. Last spring we had a speaker from a NICU (the place in the hospital where they take care of the preemie babies). NSSLHA also participates in service activities—the Walk for Autism, Dance Marathon, and fundraising for Fontbonne’s speech and hearing clinic. They even help with Fontbonne activities like the Fall Festival coming up in a few weeks.

So, my point is, if you are a Fontbonne student studying Deaf Education or Speech-Language Pathology, you might want to give NSSLHA a try. If you have some other major (and I haven’t persuaded you to switch to SLP or Deaf Ed) I consider you all to be cultured individuals who just learned another acronym (and about an important campus organization). Congratulations!