Stephany

Internship at Valley Park School District

by Stephany on October 10, 2013

in Academics,College Life

Last week I started my internship at Valley Park School District. You might be wondering what am I doing there?… Well, I am a graduate student doing my dietetic internship in several sites. Right now, I am in the school system overseeing how they run their food service.

Valley Park school district is a pretty small school with about 1,000 students total (elementary, middle, and high school). I work with the school dietitian and sometimes with the lunch ladies. All of them very helpful and nice. What surprised me the most is that the majority of the lunch ladies graduated from the school and are now working there. Some of them have been working there for over 20 years.

This week, I have been planning the National School Lunch Week that will take place next week. The National School Lunch Week started in 1962 by President John F. Kennedy. Every year there is a theme, this year’s theme is “School Lunch Across the U.S”. Having this theme in mind, the dietitian, another intern and I are planning to teach kids where some of their foods are grown in the U.S., have nutrition trivia games during their lunch period, highlight any local foods, and even have a huge school lunch crossword puzzle by the end of the week. I can’t wait for next week. It’s going to be amazing! Stay tuned for my next blog entry- “National School Lunch Week”.