Inspiration from a Hot Sauce Packet

in Academics,Career Paths,College Life

I love inspirational quotes. They bring a smile to my face on a dreary day, they make me laugh, and they remind me to keep believing in myself and progressing toward my life goals. Generally, I find inspiration in quotes from movies, books, plays, and musicals. However, I just recently found an inspirational quote located on a rather unconventional medium: a Taco Bell hot sauce packet. The packet said, and I do quote, “If you never do, you’ll never know.” How true these words are! Thinking back over the major decisions I’ve made since high school, I can’t help but reflect upon how these words relate. I liked biology, but I didn’t know if I’d like it as my main, focused study. I was hesitant about contacting the lab where I’m now interning because I didn’t know if I was prepared enough or good enough. I am skeptical of people, so it took me a while to trust in the people whom I now consider to be some of the best friends I’ve ever had. All in all, I’ve had plenty of ups and downs as a biology major, just as anyone else in any other major would have. However, if I wouldn’t have made the choices to go into biology and send the questioning email to my lab and talk to various people, I would’ve never known how rewarding all of those choices currently are. I’m not going to lie – I’m not one to live on the edge. I generally think a while before taking any great risks or making any major decisions, but, in the cases described above and in a few other instances that come to mind, I’m glad that I did what my heart was telling me to do. Who knew that hot sauce packets could be so influential and inspirational?!

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Gary November 2, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Hi Courtney, I recently started looking at some hot sauce packet sayings and thought about the messages that relate to taco bell’s “Live Mas” campaign. I wonder if messages like these will be the “go-to” for less discerning students or teens when decisions between right and wrong come up. As a parent, I think of these things. Choosing to go with biology is a major decision and I know that you did more than read a hot sauce pack before you made the choice. I challenge taco Bell’s strategy of using the worldly “who cares” “if it feels good” concept to promote sales and send a message of irresponsibility to immature people. Many have not been blessed with a firm family foundation and find comfort in doing things that get attention . I think that is the message TB is sending with the current sauce pack campaign. Do you wonder what the next one will be?
Thanks for your great attitude and have fun in Biology!
GP

Courtney November 16, 2013 at 5:34 pm

Thanks for your comments! Trust me, I did WAY more than read a hot sauce packet before choosing to go into biology. I just happen to see quotes and relate them to my life, so that’s how this blog came about.

Thanks for reading!! :)

~ Courtney