Inspiration from a Hot Sauce Packet

in Academics,Career Paths,College Life

I love inspirational quotes. They bring a smile to my face on a dreary day, they make me laugh, and they remind me to keep believing in myself and progressing toward my life goals. Generally, I find inspiration in quotes from movies, books, plays, and musicals. However, I just recently found an inspirational quote located on a rather unconventional medium: a Taco Bell hot sauce packet. The packet said, and I do quote, “If you never do, you’ll never know.” How true these words are! Thinking back over the major decisions I’ve made since high school, I can’t help but reflect upon how these words relate. I liked biology, but I didn’t know if I’d like it as my main, focused study. I was hesitant about contacting the lab where I’m now interning because I didn’t know if I was prepared enough or good enough. I am skeptical of people, so it took me a while to trust in the people whom I now consider to be some of the best friends I’ve ever had. All in all, I’ve had plenty of ups and downs as a biology major, just as anyone else in any other major would have. However, if I wouldn’t have made the choices to go into biology and send the questioning email to my lab and talk to various people, I would’ve never known how rewarding all of those choices currently are. I’m not going to lie – I’m not one to live on the edge. I generally think a while before taking any great risks or making any major decisions, but, in the cases described above and in a few other instances that come to mind, I’m glad that I did what my heart was telling me to do. Who knew that hot sauce packets could be so influential and inspirational?!

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }