Holly

The Hunt

by Holly on October 23, 2013

in In Saint Louis

And here, a few tales of the idiots that run apartment complexes:

The High-Rise Guy: We went through the whole sha-bang: call up, set up an appointment, discuss pricing, etc. This place was in the Central West End. GORGEOUS view of the city. 10 stories up. TINY studio apartment (did I mention I’m having a roommate?). And for some oddball reason, we both must be 19. I am not, and upon discovering this, we were promptly escorted back downstairs and the guy left. Very rude, sorry you didn’t tell us your weird policy sir.

The Frenchman: On a lovely drive through Clayton, the roomie and I spot an adorable little building with a FOR RENT sign in front. We called, and asked the price. A French man answers and asked us our price range, we say $625 tops. His response “AHHH HAAA HAAA You ‘vill never find an apahment for zat price in ze heart of Clayton!” End of call. We will admit, that one was a great story. We were more entertained than mad.

Loverville: We found a great one! All utilities included, leasing according to school years, remodeled kitchen, HUGE. Pretty cool lady showing it to us. Things were finally looking up. She asked: are you looking for two apartments? “No, we’re sharing a one-bedroom.” “Oh, we don’t rent one-bedrooms to roommates, unless you’re a couple.” I’ll admit, we were a bit insensitive, seeing that this lady was a lesbian. “What if we SAY we’re a couple?” She said, “Umm, well I know you’re not, and you’d have to lie on your application.” Yup, that was a big fat NO written on that one. You must be lovers to rent in this place.

The One: One day, we found it. On Tamm Avenue in Dogtown. It was adorable: Light pink walls, adorable living room, dining room, little kitchen, a nook for a makeup vanity, two girls’ dream. And the people at the real estate office were SO NICE. Actually nice, caring people. And we looked at it, twice. VERY interested. And the day we decide to jump on it and submit an application was one day too late. The place had just been leased. That was a sad, sad day. The apartment gods were really not ruling in our favor.

But as my boyfriend says, I have good karma. Everything works out for me. And so it goes…

The One, the One that is Bigger, Better, and More Beautiful: the one that is ours. 700 square feet. Renovated kitchen. Victorian plaster walls. Hardwood floors. 5 closets. Dining room. BEAUTIFUL living room, BEAUTIFUL building. Absolutely perfect location, just a hop, skip, and a Tamm bridge away from Fontbonne. Across from Turtle Park, WALKING DISTANCE TO THE ZOO. Owner told us about all the quick fixes he’ll do before move-in day: he’s a handy guy! And really cares about the property. And our applications are submitted, parents co-signed, all is well. We move in November 1st and the excitement is killing me.

And so, we will live happily ever after.