Marielle

No Dark Sarcasm in the Classroom

by Marielle on October 7, 2013

in Academics,Campus Community,Career Paths,College Life,New & Future Students

One of the great things about my classroom experience at Fontbonne so far is the opportunities I have been given to get out of the classroom. Whether through practicum experience, a field trip, or even simply attending an on-campus event, the dietetics program at Fontbonne is all about creating a dynamic learning environment.
For example, last Wednesday for my ‘Methods in Teaching’ class, I was able to teach a lesson about spiritual and emotional wellness (based on Don Miguel Ruiz’s book “The Four Agreements; check it out!) to a group of homeless women at a shelter in the city. ┬áThe shelter is called “Gateway 180″, and Fontbonne has quite a few connections with them through our volunteer work and philanthropy there. Although I’m not an education major, it is important for dietitians to be able to effectively teach our clients, and I’m finding the class to be very helpful and eye-opening. I very much enjoyed teaching a lesson on a subject I’m passionate about, and I think my positive experience bodes well for my future as a health educator.
Also, my ‘Foundations of Public Policy and Advocacy in FCS’ class is currently working on a project in which we will go out into the community to register people to vote and check their eligibility for food stamps. We’re still in the initial planning stages, but I’m excited to see where it goes.
I’m so happy to be a part of a University that not only teaches me what I need to do, but empowers me to go out and do it as well. I really feel that my classes here are making a difference in both my life and the lives of others in the community. And that’s a great feeling to have!