Courtney

Back in Session

by Courtney on September 15, 2013

in Academics,College Life,Extracurricular,In Saint Louis

Hello, Dear Readers!

It’s been a while since I posted my last summer blog. And my, how things have changed since then! The weather is saying that fall is soon upon us, classes have been in session for almost a month, and my favorite holiday of the year, Halloween, draws ever closer.

This semester is definitely different for me. For the past two years, I’ve had eighteen or so hours of almost all science courses. I crammed courses like organic chemistry, cell and molecular biology, and anatomy and physiology all into one semester. Call me crazy, but that’s what I did, and I loved it, for the most part. Now, however, I’m practically finished with all of my biology courses, so I’m technically only taking one required biology course this semester (which, by the way, is immunology) in addition to a few gen-eds and a class for my theatre minor. I’m only on campus twice per week; I spend the other days of the week in my internship lab. I’m still interning in the microbiology lab where I started at last spring break, and I continually love it ever more.

But that’s enough about school. The memories of summer seem distant now, but who’s not up for a little reminiscing? I’ve been excited to designate the following as “My Summer Favorites” for a while now. So enjoy!

Favorite Summer Muny Show: “South Pacific”
This came down to a close call. I enjoyed the entire season, but it was hard for me to determine which show I liked better – “South Pacific” or “Les Miserables.” Though I’ve always loved “Les Miz,” I’d have to say that “South Pacific” was my favorite show of the summer season. The vibrant colors, singing, dancing, and classic Rodgers and Hammerstein storyline were all in perfect harmony. I’ve been voting for this show for at least the past five years, so I’m happy to say that The Muny’s 2013 production was worth the long wait.

Favorite Summer TV Show: “Whodunnit!”
“Whodunnit!” was my televised summertime addiction. A show on ABC, “Whodunnit!” was a murder mystery reality show. I often said it was a televised version of my favorite board game, Clue. In the show, Giles was the butler at the super-creepy Rue Manor, and contestants had to solve murder mysteries to determine who the “killer” was. I was so excited that my favorite contestant
won, and I absolutely loved trying to put all of the clues together and figure out each week’s crime before Giles explained how the crime had been committed. If anyone from ABC is reading this, there’d better be a season two coming up soon!

Favorite Summer Movie: “The Great Gatsby”
Okay, I’ll admit it – “Gatsby” technically came out in theaters right around exam week last May. However, I’d still consider it to be my favorite summer movie. I saw it with my mom and then again with a good friend, and I loved it both times. The director used amazing visuals to retell this classic story. It was haunting, exciting, and romantic all at once.

Favorite Summer Lab Process: DNA Extraction
In my internship lab, I performed my first DNA extraction within the first couple months of being there. However, I was working
alongside my friend David, who knew what he was doing. Right around the Fourth of July, I performed my first solo DNA extraction. It was awesome. I wouldn’t consider myself a DNA extraction pro just yet, but I would say that I have a much better grasp of how the process works and on what goes on in each specific step. Plus, how can you beat a technique that requires continual micropipetting?!

Favorite Summer Memory: Going to EPCOT
My family and I go to Disney World each June for vacation. This year, however, we were able to go to EPCOT on three different days because we had park tickets that allowed us to go from park to park. EPCOT, or the “Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow,” is my absolute favorite Disney park because it combines science, technology, and culture. Seeing the dolphins and manatees and riding the ever-funny “Ellen’s Energy Adventure” starring Ellen Degeneres and Bill Nye the Science Guy made my vacation perfect.

All in all, I had a pretty good summer. But I’m happy that the semester has started because I’ll be able to devote more time to learning immunology and working and learning in my lab.

Tagged as: back to school, Biology, EPCOT, internship, Microbiology, Summer, The Great Gatsby, The Muny