Conner

Sundays of Pancakes and Hiking

by Conner on August 1, 2013

The days of summer are ticking by one by one, with some surprisingly cool temperatures these past few days. This past Sunday, I did the normal routine of making pancakes, waffles, or some sort of breakfast meal (from scratch, I might add) for my family. During breakfast, we were discussing what we could do that day. I said, “Let’s go hiking!”

The day was supposed to be a gorgeous 75 degrees like the previous one, perfect for an outdoor activity. Hiking is one of my dad’s favorite things to do. He used to hike in Colorado every summer with his family, and has passed the tradition down to us. I wanted to get out and do something, and hiking could be done to get everyone out of the house doing something together.

It was settled. We were to hurry up, get ready, and start driving south. Just about an hour from where I live is a vast area of camping sites and hiking trails. We settled on one called Ferne Clyffe. We started out on a four or five mile hike around bluffs and a lake. The weather, the air, everything was perfect. It was nice to spend a whole day outdoors and do something active. Everybody put up their phones, video games, and (in my case) to-do lists for the day and took in the scenery.

It was a moderate hike, so we were definitely feeling it the next day, but I’m glad we did it. Summer is ending, and I want to be able to have a few stories to tell outside of my normal everyday routine. Now back to the to-do lists of buying textbooks, emailing, working on projects, and cleaning. Three weeks until the fall semester. I know I’ll blink and it will fly on by.

Thanks for reading..

The view from the hike

The lake viewed on our hike

My Dad, Brother, and I