Conner

Windshield Time

by Conner on July 8, 2013

July 4th. One usually thinks fireworks, swimming, barbeques, and other festive things that occur outdoors. My holiday weekend was anything but the usual. I spent a long weekend in Gainesville, Florida. However, looking back, I think I spent more time in the car than I actually did in Florida.

My sister is planning to go to college there in January, and this was her first trip down to look at the school and the town. We started the 13 hour drive on Wednesday night, and drove straight through to Florida. I think I stayed awake keeping the drivers entertained until about 4 or 5 in the morning. The windshield time only increased from there. Once we arrived, we drove through the school’s campus and the surrounding area scouting apartment buildings. After dinner, we were all so tired and went straight to bed. The next day was filled with more driving, this time to various apartments. After looking at the grounds and 4 bedroom/4 baths they had to offer, it was back in the car. Florida heat is much more humid and dense than the heat here at the moment, so the air conditioning was the only thing I was enjoying about the car. My legs ached. I wanted so badly to just walk anywhere!

On the third and final day in Florida we left after  lunch, and began the long drive back home to Illinois. I finally did get to do one of the things I hoped to do on our trip. Shop! After driving about 4 hours, we stopped at an outlet mall. I treated myself to a few new pairs of sandals at ridiculously low prices! A great dinner followed, but then it was back to the car to finish the drive. I stayed up and drove until 4 in the morning, and we finally made it home at 6. It was a nice weekend, but I will sure be glad not to spend so much time in the car this week.

Only 8 more weeks and then back to Fontbonne! I’m so anxious to get back to the school I love (and one that isn’t a 13 hour drive away)!

Thanks for reading..