I’m Just Wild About MOBOT

by Alumni Posts on July 15, 2013

in College Life,In Saint Louis,Organizations, Activities & Events

You may already be well aware of my obsession with the Missouri Botanical Gardens, but gear up for another dose of my geeking out about it.  Not only did I recently renew my membership in preparation for the 2014 Garden season, but I finally got the chance to participate in an event that has long intrigued me – the Whitaker Music Festival!

The Whitaker Music Festival takes place Wednesday evenings during the summer, and it’s unique because the Garden both waives its normal admission fee for the night and allows picnic-ing. (There were even food trucks parked in the garden!) The Festival always brings a diverse lineup of groups, from country to folk to blues, and this past week was no different. I met up with my friend to see “Victor and Penny”, who categorized their genre as “antique pop”. Now, I wasn’t quite sure what to expect from that, but I must say I was pleasantly surprised!

It turned out to be a charming set of bluesy, ragtime, music that embodied the early 20th century. I loved it! There was a stand up bass and vintage ukelele present as well, which only added to the ambiance of the evening.  It went from about 7:30 to 9:30, although people were free to come and go as they pleased. All in all things were very laid-back and relaxed.

Speaking of relaxed, I naturally had to stop by and zen out at my favorite part of the Gardens (and possibly St. Louis) – the Japanese Garden:

So don’t wait! You still have July 17, July 24, July 31, and August 7 to check out the Festival. Come by and have a listen! And if you decide to become a impassioned Garden member like I am…. so much the better.