Show Your Paintings at the United Nations

by Alumni Posts on July 19, 2013

in Campus Community,College Life,In Saint Louis

Welp, I’m back to report on more cool things I found in St. Louis!

First: this past weekend I went to Vintage Vinyl on Delmar for the first time and bought a record. The main reason it was my first time is because until now, I didn’t have an actual record player. But fate has smiled upon me in the form of a turntable in my basement! Technically it belongs to my father, but that’s a minor detail. So basically, Vintage Vinyl is pretty legit. They have not only records, but also new/used CDs as well, and band merchandise. So if you’re into that kinda thing, buy music from a chill local place instead of a mass market retailer! (Cough, Urban Outfitters, cough…not that I don’t occasionally indulge in some UO, but still.)

So what record marked my first purchase? None other than Vampire Weekend’s self-titled first album. Why? Because I’m obsessed with them. Oh, and for the record (HAHAHAHAHA….okay, I’ll see myself out) they are playing at the Pageant in September and I’m sooooo pumped. I’m sure you’ll hear all about it. Anyway.

Oops, how did this get in here?

Second: I also had a chance to glance through the new wing in the St. Louis Art Museum! Like the Zoo, the Art Museum is totally free and always beautiful. From what I could tell from their new wing, it is mainly contemporary art. I did recognize a few pieces from other parts of the museum that had been moved over, but there were definitely some new things. Also, I didn’t have time to go through the entire museum to get a good feel for what else had been moved around. Just means I’ll have to go back! And I don’t mind at all. The Art Museum has always been a dear place for me, and their new modern wing, with its sleek lines and zen feel, is a welcome addition. So all in all, a very pleasant weekend in the city!