I’ll proudly admit that I love watching the classic gameshow “Jeopardy!”. I’ve actually taken the online quiz twice in an attempt to take the next steps to be a contestant on the show. One of the categories that always befuddles me, however, is called “Potpourri.” This category, which is in play in extremely random intervals, is a varied hodgepodge of clues that have nothing in common except for the commonality that they have nothing in common. Why, exactly, am I bringing up such a category on such a gameshow? Well, simply put, I have a lot of random little tidbits that I’d like to blog about, but, at the same time, none of those aforementioned tidbits really relate to each other.

Tidbit #1: South Pacific
If you read my previous blog, you’ll recall that I was writing about The Muny and about how much I was looking forward to their production of “South Pacific,” which hasn’t played there since 2003. I am super excited to report that I absolutely loved that show. The costumes, the music, the acting, the emotion – everything was so perfect. Let’s hope that it doesn’t take another decade before The Muny produces this spectacular musical again.

Tidbit #2: What Ever Happened to Sensible Jeans?!
This summer, I’ve been working in a lab, and I love it. But since it’s a lab, we’re required to wear long pants. Call me un-American, but I’m not really into jeans. Even so, I’ve accepted that jeans are probably the easiest solution to my long-pants requirement – that is, when I can find a suitable pair. First of all, based on my height, it’s super difficult to find jeans that fit me width-wise and length-wise. Even jeans labeled as “short” cover my feet and still extend a couple of inches. And size aside, finding that perfect pair of jeans still frustrates me to no end. I love a light blue wash that starts out fitted and ends in a nice bootcut. No bell bottoms, no flares, no super-dark or super-light washes, no super-skinny jegging appearance, and, most importantly, no tatters, rips, or holes. (I can put holes in my own jeans, thank you very much!) What I find pathetic is that I searched every single department store and reasonably-priced mall store searching for a new pair of jeans for work. And what did I find? Nothing! Actually, I found an almost-perfect pair of jeans in Orlando, Florida, of all places. I mean, seriously – finding jeans in sunny Florida, a place where winters may reach a balmy 40 degrees? What’s wrong with this picture?!

Tidbit #3: Life in General
Recently, I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about life post-Fontbonne. For those of you who’ve read my countless previous blogs, you’ll probably recall that I want to go to grad school to pursue a degree in immunology so that I can enter the field of clinical microbiology/infectious disease. For these reasons, I’ve been looking into programs, studying for the ever-ominous GRE, and beginning rough drafts of application essays. Last night, I went to an open house at Washington University’s School of Medicine, where many of the graduate biology classes are held, just to see the campus and meet up with some students. I’m trying to balance the stress of the process of applications with the excitement of the opportunity of delving deeper into the subjects that I love the most.

Well, I guess that’s about it for now. If this were really “Jeopardy!”, then I’d need to include two more answers to which contestants could ask questions. However, since this is my blog, I’ll take my “author’s license” and call it quits for now.