Carlyn

A Day in Paris

by Carlyn on July 15, 2013

During my last week abroad in Europe, I decided to go out with a bang. As soon as my last class ended, I hopped on a plane to Paris. As I was staying in England this summer, I had thought about how close I was to France (much closer than St. Louis, Missouri). Instead of continuously thinking about it, I decided to just go for it. I spent two nights with my family who lives there, but only had one full day to explore. It was short, but definitely sweet. Walking the most famous city in the world in one day was one of the most tiring, yet thrilling experiences that I will never forget.

I started out my day by visiting the Eiffel Tower. First things first, right?! This was a sight that I was NOT going to leave Paris without seeing. It was quite surreal to see the real thing. I had seen this monument probably hundreds of times in movies, pictures, shows, etc. To be in front of the real thing was breathtaking. Because I was very limited on time, I didn’t go inside or to the top of many places. I was grateful just to be in the presence of these famous sights. In addition to the Eiffel Tower, I stopped at other key sights, such as the Arc de Triomphe, the Louvre (where the Mona Lisa is), Notre Dame, Love Lock Bridge, and Shakespeare and Company bookstore. Just as I imagined, the city was beautiful. The parks, churches, theatres, stores, food… Speaking of food, I ate what I believe to be the most delicious crepe in the world. It was topped with coffee ice cream (with actually coffee beans!), coffee syrup, and whipped cream. Since I don’t speak French, I don’t remember the exact name of this outstanding dessert that I made into my entire meal.

With only a day to explore, I basically just got a preview of the “city of love.” I’m not complaining though. Out of this one day came many fun memories and stories. One thing that I did want to do in Paris was go to Disneyland. Obviously, this was not feasible. I guess I’ll just have to come back!