Marielle

Carry On, Wayward Son

by Marielle on July 8, 2013

in College Life,Extracurricular

Well, I must admit this post isn’t very St. Louis centered, but it does highlight another pretty cool place in Missouri – Kansas City! It’s about 5-6 hours away by train, and has some pretty cool stuff. I especially liked the farmer’s market – it’s huge! Bigger than Soulard! – and the raw/vegan/organic restaurant that I naturally hunted down.

While at the market, I visited tons of local produce stands, and even stopped by the nearby tents of the flea market. Funny story, I was wearing one of my Fontbonne Cross Country shirts, and a guy stopped me and reported that his mother had gone to Fontbonne back when it was an all girls school. There was also an urban farmer who knew Fontbonne through his sister who graduated from Wash U. Small world!

This market accepts food stamps as well, which, especially as a future dietitian, I support 100%!

Lovely orchids!

Farmers!

Ruby red turnips, yum!

This dude carved flowers out of melons and stuff. Neat-o.

Bulk spices!

The restaurant was another winner. You know I love me some raw vegan food, and this was delish! I had the raw lasagna with olive tapanade and cashew cheese, some house-made kombucha, and a raw tiramisu! Fantastic! I would go back in a heartbeat (but of course Frida’s Deli and PuraVegan here in the STL will always be my true loves). My mother, aunt, and uncle went along with me to the restaurant, and I’m pleased to report they enjoyed it as well! Yay for passing along the joys of vegan food! ;)

I’M SO CUTE.

Lasagna and side salad.

TIRAMISU OM NOM NOM.

So if you ever get a chance to hit up KC, be sure to get off the beaten path a bit and try some of the local hotspots!