Courtney

7 Nights Under the Stars

by Courtney on July 7, 2013

in College Life,In Saint Louis

Section B6, Row R, Seat 127. Since 2005, those theatrical coordinates have illustrated my whereabouts for each of seven summer Saturday nights.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, The Muny is our nation’s oldest and largest outdoor theater. Situated in Forest Park, which is what I personally consider to be the heart of St. Louis, The Muny produces seven Broadway-style shows per summer season. It’s a sight to behold, and everyone is invited. You don’t even need a ticket to get in to the free seats near the top of the theater! Generally, The Muny’s season has great variation in the types of shows offered. This season is no different; it contains classics such as “South Pacific” and “West Side Story,” new crowd pleasers such as “Spamalot,” and internationally known and loved shows like “Les Miserables.”

The current season is about halfway through. I’ve already laughed at the nonsense that is “Spamalot,” been inspired by an ogre named “Shrek” whose journey allows him to find both love and his true place in the world, and watched the benefit talent show of a group of religious sisters in “Nunsense.” I’m arguably most excited about the next production, “South Pacific,” which will play (for me) next Saturday night. And after “South Pacific,” the season will continue on and close out with “Les Miz,” “Mary Poppins,” and “West Side Story,” respectively.

So if you live in St. Louis or if you’re just passing through, I highly encourage you to spend a night at The Muny. The live acting, dancing, singing, and orchestral music, in addition to the shimmering night sky and the brand-new fans, will surely bring a smile to your face.

{ 2 comments… read them below or add one }

Arthur July 8, 2013 at 2:38 pm

Amazing. Your writing is fabulous. A lot can be learned from it. I will learn from it. Thank you. As for The Muny, I have to agree wholeheartedly with what you have said. Having gone there only once in the summer of 2008 for the performance of Peter Pan, I have to say it is the best outdoor theatre I have yet been in. That being said I compare that to the summer Shakespeare Festival. The night-time setting makes it more surreal and imaginative background. You can feel part of it. In short, The Muny is awesome!

Courtney Courtney July 9, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Thanks so much, Arthur!!

I’m looking forward to meeting you when you start your freshman year of college at Fontbonne this August!! Maybe we’ll all be reading your Fontbonne blogs soon….